May 2020 Update from CWEA
Published May 6 2020

The following update was sent out to the CWEA Membership on May 6, 2020 and addresses plans for the circuit as we look to close the books on the 2020 season and move into preparations for next year.

Greetings all,

I hope this messages finds each of you well and that you and your family are safe and healthy! Though our season did not have the ending we expected or hoped for, I want to applaud each of you for your work with your participants. Your tireless dedication and constant advocacy for your students is what helps our organization stay strong through these difficult moments.

As we begin to close the book on the 2020 season, we face an uncertain future. There has been no moment in the history of the circuit to compare to what we are facing with the effects of COVID-19. There is uncertainty revolving around every aspect of the marching arts including drum corps, fall marching band, winter ensembles and more. Athletic programs are facing similar challenges. While we are all uncertain as to what the future brings, know that we are all as committed as ever to ensuring the stability and recovery of the circuit!

First and foremost, we must address a few important plans for the coming months. The Board of Directors met this past week to discuss the path forward for the organization. Based on the information currently available to us, the Board has decided to proceed with these plans of action for the coming months.

Scholarship Program

As you’re aware, the circuit has faced a significant impact to our financials. With the loss of Championships, things like the Scholarship Program which rely on ticket sales at these events were put on hold. Now that we’ve been able to assess the current financial situation, I’m pleased to report that the Board has voted to fund two $500 scholarships for the 2020 season! The awards committee will assess the applications and announce its selections at the end of May.

Promotion Medals

The circuit still intends on distributing promotion medals to groups who would have normally received them at Circuit Championships. Groups who qualify should expect to receive information about the process and requirements sometime next week.

Spring Membership Meeting Format

The Spring Membership Meeting will be held online via a virtual webinar meeting platform. The Treasurer, Director of Events, Education Committee Chair, Judge Coordinators and President will deliver reports. Additional information on how to participate in the meeting will be communicated at a later date.

Proposals Consideration

A call for proposals will be posted to the circuit website on Friday allowing you to submit proposals for consideration to the membership and the Board. The deadline for proposal submissions will be May 31, 2020. The Board has voted to delay proposal consideration until such time an in-person meeting of the full membership can be scheduled. We expect that this will occur in August or September, but will be scheduled in accordance with the health and safety concerns present at that time.

Board of Directors Elections

The Board of Directors unanimously voted to delay the elections until such time an in-person meeting of the full membership can be scheduled. The terms of the following directors will expire on May 31, 2020:

  • Vice President (Clayton Parker)
  • Treasurer (Riley Pagett)
  • Secretary PR (Tracy Smith)
  • Member At Large (Jeff Bridges)

The Board will meet the first week of June to appoint interim directors to these vacated positions. Unless a director chooses not to continue their term, a motion will be made to appoint each of the four individuals listed above into their existing positions until the next membership meeting can be held.

Advisory Council Elections

The Board voted unanimously to follow the precedent set by Winter Guard International with concern to the Advisory Council. All existing Advisory Council members will be asked to retain their positions on the council for the 2021 season. The respective chairs of the councils will retain their positions for an additional year and will continue to represent the councils on the Board of Directors through the 2021 season.

Summer Board Retreat

The Summer Board Retreat date is being finalized. An announcement will be made towards the end of May about plans for this meeting. The format, date and other considerations will depend on the health and safety considerations present at that time.

In closing, I just want to thank each of you for your patience and understanding as we work through the challenges our organization is facing. It’s important we all remain flexible over the coming months as we work to plan for the future. As always, please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns you may have!

All the best,

Cody Crawford
President, CWEA